Only eligible candidates will be considered for an S Pass. Criteria include a minimum salary of $2,200 and acceptable qualifications. Use the Self-Assessment Tool to check a candidate's eligibility before you apply.
Who is eligible,
The Employment Pass is for foreign professionals who:
- Have a job offer in Singapore.
- Work in a managerial, executive or specialised job.
- Earn a fixed monthly salary of at least $3,600 (more experienced candidates need higher salaries).
- Have acceptable qualifications, usually a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills.
Note on salaries:
- Young graduates from good institutions can qualify if they earn at least $3,600.
- Older, more experienced candidates need higher salaries to qualify.
Note on acceptable qualifications:
- MOM don't have a list of approved institutions. Instead, MOM evaluate each application on its own merit, based on a wide range of criteria such as global and country rankings, and enrolment standards.
- Candidates without acceptable qualifications may not necessarily be rejected. Similarly, having acceptable qualifications does not guarantee approval.
- MOM look at other factors such as proven track records and exceptional skill sets on a case-by-case basis.
Application for an Employment Pass is open to all nationalities.
Documents required for Employment Pass
You need to submit documents such as copies of passport details and educational certificates along with the Employment Pass application.
We encourage you to use the Self-Assessment Tool (SAT) to get an indication of whether an applicant meets the requirements. Candidates can also use the tool to assess their eligibility.
If the SAT shows that the candidate is not eligible, you shouldn't apply for the EP Employment Pass because it will be rejected.
If the SAT shows that the candidate is eligible, there is around a 90% chance that the candidate will get a pass.
Who can apply
As part of the Fair Consideration Framework, you may be required to advertise your job opening on the Jobs Bank before you can submit an Employment Pass application.
The advertisement must be open to Singaporeans and run for at least 14 days.
For Employment Pass applications filed from 1 October 2015, the accompanying advertisements must include published salary ranges.
Who is exempted from the Jobs Bank advertising
For practical reasons, you are exempted from the Jobs Bank advertising requirement in any of these cases:
- Your company has 25 or fewer employees.
- The job position is paying a fixed monthly salary of $12,000 and above.
- The job is to be filled by an intra-corporate transferee (ICTs). Under the World Trade Organisation’s General Agreement on Trade in Services (WTO GATS), ICTs refer to those holding senior positions in the organisation or have an advanced level of expertise.
- The job is necessary for short-term contingencies (i.e. period of employment in Singapore for not more than one month).
All companies are strongly encouraged to advertise their job vacancies on the Jobs Bank for access to a larger pool of Singaporean candidates, even if those jobs are eligible for advertising exemption. All companies are expected to have fair employment practices that are open, merit-based and non-discriminatory, even if the job vacancies are exempted from advertising.
Note: Any company found to have nationality-based or other discriminatory HR practices will face scrutiny from MOM and have their work pass privileges curtailed.
If you are an overseas employer that does not have a registered office in Singapore:
- You need to get a Singapore-registered company to act as a local sponsor and apply on your behalf.
- The local sponsor must apply manually.
The candidate will still need to meet the Employment Pass criteria.
Passes for family of Employment Pass holders
As an Employment Pass holder, you can get certain family members to join you in Singapore if you meet the eligibility requirements.
These are the family members you can bring in and the type of pass they need: